Yewlands Academy is dedicated to promoting healthy living and contributing to the wellbeing of our students and staff. This is one of the many reasons why we have signed up to the School Food Standards and as an Academy we agree to comply with their legislation. We are delighted to be part of this scheme and are looking forward to continuing to provide the best nutrition for our students and staff.
In addition, the Local Authority audit our facilities every three months and I am pleased to inform you that all our menus have passed their requirements.
To support students in achieving a healthy diet, please do not provide your child with fizzy drinks as they are not allowed on site.
At Yewlands Academy, Taylor Shaw provide our catering services. They provide refreshments at break, hot meals and sandwiches at lunchtime and also provide the food for the Breakfast Cafe.
In January 2010 we introduced a cashless catering system, which stores the finger image of all members of our school community. We have two machines in the student reception area which students can access before school and at break times to add money to their accounts. The lunchtime queues are considerably quicker as students pay by simply swiping their finger on the readers at the till points. The main benefits of the system are:
- Convenient way of paying for school meals. No more looking for change every morning
- Discourages the misuse of school dinner money through spending in shops outside of the school grounds
- Alleviates many of the associated problems with the use of cash in schools. i.e.: Loss, theft and bullying
- Specific food allergy ingredients can be barred automatically
- Healthy eating is encouraged
- Queuing times are reduced through increased speed of service
- Detailed reports to analyse all aspects of the use of the system
- Having control of student accounts by students using the I.M.P.A.C.T. system teaches important life skills
- A more efficient delivery of service helps the caterer to provide wholesome, healthy and enjoyable school meals at an economical cost
Another benefit of the cashless catering system is that students who are eligble for free school meals are able to have the credit added to their account automatically and other students are not aware of who gets the free school meal allowance. If you think you may be eligble for free school meals you can find more information on the